pspp-users

Re: pspp interactive mode broken

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: pspp interactive mode broken
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 12:00:10 -0800

There's some code in src/output/cairo-fsm.c that must be the culprit,
but I still can't reproduce it,
even when I force this code to always execute by changing the if (...)
to if (true) :

  else if (options & TAB_ROTATE || bb[H][1] != INT_MAX)
    {
      const char *text = ds_cstr (&body);
      const char *decimal = text + strcspn (text, ".,");
      if (decimal[0]
          && c_isdigit (decimal[1])
          && (decimal == text || !c_isdigit (decimal[-1])))
        {
          struct string tmp = DS_EMPTY_INITIALIZER;
          ds_extend (&tmp, ds_length (&body) + 16);
          markup_escape (&tmp, markup, text, decimal - text + 1);
          ds_put_unichar (&tmp, 0x2060 /* U+2060 WORD JOINER */);
          markup_escape (&tmp, markup, decimal + 1, -1);
          ds_swap (&tmp, &body);
          ds_destroy (&tmp);
        }
    }

I guess that, if you're using an old Windows build, maybe there was a
bug in PSPPIRE
that has been fixed since then (since I've done a *lot* of work on the
output engine
since October) but you haven't gotten the fix because there haven't
been any Windows
builds since then.

For Windows support, we really need a Windows developer.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hmm. A null byte. I will take a look at related code later today to see if I
> can figure it out. It hasn't appeared for me (on GNU/Linux).
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 7:23 AM Alan Mead <amead2@alanmead.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, if i blow up the screenshot, I think I see four zeros. I don't know of
>> any way to copy that character or zoom the interface.
>>

>> -Alan
>>

>> On 3/6/2021 11:14 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>>
>> I cannot quite read the digits in those boxes. Are they 0000?
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021, 8:45 PM Alan Mead <amead2@alanmead.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, FWIW, the Windows output contains a strange character (vertical tab?):
>>>

>>> On 3/6/2021 7:36 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>>>
>>> How very odd!
>>>
>>> I do use the interactive mode occasionally, for testing.
>>>
>>> There are two different ways that interactive mode can work: with the
>>> "readline" library for command editing, or without it.  I tried both
>>> of these and couldn't reproduce it on GNU/Linux.
>>>
>>> More and more, we need a Windows developer, if Windows is going to be
>>> supported well.
>>>
>>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 5:22 PM Alan Mead <amead@alanmead.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I've ever used the interactive mode of PSPP, I cannot recall. I think
>>> it's broken (at least in windows). It reads the first character of each
>>> command as a 'p':
>>>
>>> G:\projects\pspp>"C:\Program Files (x86)\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe"
>>> PSPP is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>>> under certain conditions; type "show copying." to see the conditions.
>>> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for PSPP; type "show warranty." for details.
>>> GNU pspp 1.4.0-gc3c044
>>> PSPP> exit
>>> pxit
>>> error: Unknown command `pxit'.
>>> PSPP>
>>>
>>> PSPP> exit
>>> pxit
>>>
>>> error: Unknown command `pxit'.
>>> PSPP>
>>> ^C
>>> G:\projects\pspp>"C:\Program Files (x86)\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe"
>>> PSPP is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>>> under certain conditions; type "show copying." to see the conditions.
>>> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for PSPP; type "show warranty." for details.
>>> GNU pspp 1.4.0-gc3c044
>>> PSPP> show license
>>> phow license
>>> error: Unknown command `phow'.