pspp-users

Re: Import Codebook

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Import Codebook
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 13:38:45 -0800

Software that goes from anything to SPSS should also work fine for PSPP, since PSPP can read SPSS data files.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 1:29 PM Dominique Joye <djoye@vtx.ch> wrote:

This is an important discussion

The traditional way to import a dataset in the "old time" was to import the data (mostly in numeric form) with a "Fortran-like" format and then add a dictionary with the "Var label" and he "Value label" set of  instructions. In fact when importing from a .csv we are in the same tradition, with 2 files: data and dictionnary. And a traditional dictionnary with var label and value labels is not so difficult to organize.

In any case, I would prefer to stick with the numeric codes rather than use character values that are much more difficult to convert (the problem is the same when importing a "foreign file" in R coming from a .sav where it appears to be easier to use the numeric codes rather than the string coming from the values

The alternative proposed by Markus, to import from a ddi-xml structure is probably the most interesting as already a lot of tools allow to convert from survey tools to a ddi strcuture. In my memory the quexml developped in Australia was a step in this direction (https://quexml.acspri.org.au/) as well as a way to go directly from software like Limesurvey to SPSS (sorry PSPP) see https://quexmltools.acspri.org.au/

This is just a suggestion to explore this direction but this has to be analysed further

Dominique