pspp-users

RE: Import Codebook

From: Elio Spinello
Subject: RE: Import Codebook
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:54:09 -0800

I am in the process of doing exactly that with a fairly huge CSV file that I just imported. The easiest way I have found to do it is using syntax.  One approach is to assign variable labels. With either approach, to save myself a lot of typing, I build the structure in Excel columns and then copy and paste them into an editor to build the actual syntax.

Syntax:

Variable Labels

Var1       =             'EPA Handler ID'

Var2       =             'Activity Location'

Var3       =             'Source Type'

Var4       =             'Sequence Number'

Var5       =             'Handler Name'

Var6       =             'Non-Notifier'

Var7       =             'Receive Date'

Var8       =             'Biennial Report Cycle'

The other approach is to rename the variables using the rename command:

RENAME VARIABLES changes the names of variables in the active dataset.

RENAME VARIABLES (old_names=new_names)… .

Specify lists of the old variable names and new variable names, separated by an equals sign (‘=’), within parentheses. There must be the same number of old and new variable names. Each old variable is renamed to the corresponding new variable name. Multiple parenthesized groups of variables may be specified. When the old and new variable names contain only a single variable name, the parentheses are optional.

RENAME VARIABLES takes effect immediately. It does not cause the data to be read.

RENAME VARIABLES may not be specified following TEMPORARY (see TEMPORARY).

Elio Spinello, EdD

RPM Consulting, LLC

27943 Seco Canyon Rd  #320

Santa Clarita, CA 91350-3872