qemu-block

Re: [PULL 00/11] Block layer patches

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/11] Block layer patches
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 16:32:26 +0100

Am 15.11.2022 um 11:21 hat Hanna Reitz geschrieben:
> On 15.11.22 11:14, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > > I mean. I'd love to have it run in make check too. The alternative was
> > > never seeing this *anywhere* ...
> > What is the problem with running it in 'make check'? The additional
> > dependencies? If so, can we run it automatically if the dependencies
> > happen to be fulfilled and just skip it otherwise?
> >
> > If I have to run 'make -C python check-pipenv' manually, I can guarantee
> > you that I'll forget it more often than I'll run it.
> >
> > > ...but I'm sorry it's taken me so long to figure out how to get this
> > > stuff to work in "make check" and also from manual iotests runs
> > > without adding any kind of setup that you have to manage. It's just
> > > fiddly, sorry :(

> > > Hopefully this goes away when we drop 3.6. I want to, but I recall
> > > there was some question about some platforms that don't support 3.7+
> > > "by default" and how annoying that was or wasn't. We're almost a year
> > > out from 3.6 being EOL, so maybe after this release it's worth a crack
> > > to see how painful it is to move on.
> > If I understand the documentation right, asyncio.TimeoutError is what
> > you should be using either way. That it happens to be a re-export from
> > the internal module asyncio.exceptions seems to be more of an
> > implementation detail, not the official interface.
>
> Oh, so I understood
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-exceptions.html wrong.  I took
> that to mean that as of 3.11, `asyncio.TimeoutError` is a deprecated alias
> for `asyncio.exceptions.TimeoutError`, but it’s actually become an alias for
> the now-built-in `TimeoutError` exception.  I think.

Not just "now-built-in", it has been built in before (starting from
3.3). But AIUI, asyncio used to use its own separate exception class
(asyncio.TimeoutError, in some versions re-exported from the exceptions
submodule) instead of the built-in one, and in 3.11 it now reuses the
built-in one instead of defining a separate custom one.

Kevin