qemu-devel

Re: ANNOUNCE: build system conversion to Meson has landed

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: build system conversion to Meson has landed
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 09:39:20 -0500

On 8/21/20 8:49 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
Hi; we've just merged Paolo's patchset that converts the build system
to use Meson. This should mostly be fairly seamless for the average
developer (we hope) but there are a few things to be aware of:

  * you probably want to do a distclean or otherwise do a clean build
    when you first update your git tree to a version of master with Meson
    (especially if you do in-tree builds)
  * out-of-tree builds should continue to work basically normally
  * we have retained compatibility for an "in-tree build" workflow where
    you run configure/make in the source tree, but this is now implemented
    by having configure create a build tree for you under-the-hood
    (but do consider switching to just doing out-of-tree builds)

If you do an in-tree build, do the 'make distclean' _before_ a 'git pull' of the new code. If you don't clean first, the pull attempt is likely to complain about various trace.h files, so that is a good reminder. And if you manage to pull anyway, you may need to rewind your tree back to v5.1.0 before attempting the in-tree 'make distclean', then re-try the pull.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226