qemu-devel

Re: ANNOUNCE: build system conversion to Meson has landed

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: build system conversion to Meson has landed
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 16:50:15 +0200

On 08/21/20 15:49, Peter Maydell wrote:

> https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Meson/Next has a summary of changes
> and is worth a quick scan through.

I'd like to propose a wording clarification:

"""
For bisection: incremental builds work fine in the forward direction.
They probably don't work at all backwards. This is mitigated by the fact
that bisection usually starts at a release, and the patches should be
applied on top of the 5.1.0 tag.
"""

namely:

- s/forward direction/forward direction, across the conversion/
- s/backwards/backwards, across the conversion/

Because the way the paragraph is worded now, it suggests that *any*
individual bisection step that moves backwards in the git history will
not build. That would be of course catastrophic. We should clarify that
the symptom is limited to steps that straddle the conversion commit range.

If the suggested replacements are OK, I can make the edit myself (if
that's preferred).

(Not trying to be a busybody -- exactly because I contribute little to
QEMU, bisection is a comparatively large part of what I *do* do with QEMU.)

Thanks!
Laszlo