qemu-devel

Re: VirtioSound device emulation implementation

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: VirtioSound device emulation implementation
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 16:58:20 +0100

  Hi,

> > Are you planning to make it an in-QEMU device or maybe a external
> > vhost-user daemon?
>
> The project page states that we need to use the QEMU audio subsystem
> for playing and capturing audio samples. I am not entirely sure if
> this implies that the device should be an in-QEMU device or if it
> could be an external daemon.  What do you suggest?

I think the easiest would be to make it an in-qemu device.  All the
infrastructure qemu has to play sound in various ways (alsa, pulse,
jack, oss, ...) can be used without much effort then.

That is not set in stone though.  It is certainly possible to implement
the device as separate process, using the vhost-user protocol for
communication with qemu.  On one side it is more effort as you have to
handle the audio streams and sound devices without qemu helping with
that.  On the other side vhost-user is also supported by other
hypervisors, so the implementation could be shared then.

HTH,
  Gerd