qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] Using gitlab for upstream qemu repo?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [RFC] Using gitlab for upstream qemu repo?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 09:57:47 +0000

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 02:12:59PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 17:48, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
> > now that Gitlab is the primary CI infrastructure for QEMU, and that all
> > QEMU git repositories (including mirrors) are available on Gitlab, I
> > would like to propose that committers use Gitlab when merging commits to
> > QEMU repositories.
>
> > - right now Gitlab pulls from upstream repos and qemu.org pulls from
> > gitlab, but this is not true for the qemu, qemu-web and openbios
> > repositories where Gitlab pulls from qemu.org and qemu.org is the main
> > repository.  With this switch, all the main repositories would be on
> > Gitlab and then mirrored to both qemu.org and GitHub.  Having a
> > homogeneous configuration makes it easier to document what's going on.
>
> So IIRC we decided that we wanted to do this git.qemu.org -> gitlab
> switchover, but not during the 5.2 release. 5.2 is now out the door,
> so what's the next step to do the changeover? Now seems like a good
> time to do it so we can be happy we've dealt with any snags well
> before we get towards softfreeze.

Yes, let's do this now.

I will send a patch to point .gitmodules at GitLab. In the process of
doing this I noticed sgabios.git is not yet mirrored on GitLab. After I
create that repo (and any other missing repos) I will send a qemu.git
patch series that references the GitLab repos instead of qemu.org repos.

We can perform the mirroring direction switch that Paolo described above
independently.

Stefan