qemu-devel

minimal "zero conf" build dockerfiles for fedora:latest and alpine:lates

From: John Snow
Subject: minimal "zero conf" build dockerfiles for fedora:latest and alpine:latest
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 17:37:01 -0500

      diffutils \
      perl

ENV QEMU_CONFIGURE_OPTS ""

RUN dnf install -y $PACKAGES && \
    rpm -q $PACKAGES | sort > /packages.txt

RUN wget https://download.qemu.org/qemu-5.2.0.tar.xz && \
    tar xvJf qemu-5.2.0.tar.xz

WORKDIR /qemu-5.2.0
RUN ./configure $QEMU_CONFIGURE_OPTS && \
    make -j9

----

Notes:

- our configure file suggests bzip2 is an optional dependency (It's set to 'auto') but meson will error out if it is not present at configuration time:

    ../pc-bios/meson.build:5:2: ERROR: Program 'bzip2' not found

- diffutils is required for the qapi-schema test, which runs at build time.

- early on in the build process, an error "bash: find: command not found" can be seen, but it doesn't seem to cause a failure otherwise.

- perl is not declared as a hard pre-requisite during configure time, but the build will error out if it is not present:

[254/8314] Generating texture-blit-frag.h with a meson_exe.py custom command
FAILED: ui/shader/texture-blit-frag.h
/usr/bin/python3 /qemu-5.2.0/meson/meson.py --internal exe --capture ui/shader/texture-blit-frag.h -- /usr/bin/env perl /qemu-5.2.0/scripts/shaderinclude.pl ../ui/shader/texture-blit.frag
/usr/bin/env: ‘perl’: No such file or directory

I wanted to try with alpine for the sake of a dependency audit. It isn't quite "zero conf", but I did get it working by disabling linux-user:

----

FROM alpine:latest

ENV PACKAGES \
    wget \
    xz \
    python3 \
    ninja \
    gcc \
    musl-dev \
    pkgconfig \
    glib-dev \
    pixman-dev \
    make \
    bash \
    perl

ENV QEMU_CONFIGURE_OPTS --disable-linux-user

RUN apk add $PACKAGES

RUN wget https://download.qemu.org/qemu-5.2.0.tar.xz && \
    tar xvJf qemu-5.2.0.tar.xz

WORKDIR /qemu-5.2.0
RUN ./configure $QEMU_CONFIGURE_OPTS && \
    make -j9

----

Notes:

- "ninja" actually installs "samurai", but it appears to work.

- musl seems to work alright, but does throw a ton of warnings. I didn't actually run any tests, since they require more dependencies.

- bash has to be installed explicitly. configure/meson do not check for it, but the build will fail if they aren't present.

- linux-user binaries can't be compiled because alpine's usage of musl; I didn't look much more closely.

Takeaways:

- You really don't need a lot to build a minimal QEMU. Even the alpine package list is pretty small.

- meson seems to be handling "absolutely everything is missing" environments pretty well.

- There are a scant handful of dependencies that could be added to configure, but you are very likely not to be missing them, so it's low priority.

--js