qemu-devel

Re: minimal "zero conf" build dockerfiles for fedora:latest and alpine:l

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: minimal "zero conf" build dockerfiles for fedora:latest and alpine:latest
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:13:54 -0500

On 1/14/21 6:10 AM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 13:31 -0500, John Snow wrote:
On 1/13/21 5:09 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
I don't like Perl really, but there's a chicken-and-egg problem between
detecting Python and using it to print the configure help script.  For
configure-time tasks, Perl has the advantage that "#! /usr/bin/env perl"
just works.

Assuming perl is actually installed, the world seems to shift to python.
On a minimal fedora install python is present but perl is not ...

On the other hand git depends on perl, so it is probably pretty hard to
find a developer workstation without perl installed, so maybe that
doesn't matter much for the time being.

I agree that it doesn't matter much right now, Though I don't always
have git installed in containers when I am doing builds. It will become
more common to encounter environments that are missing "obvious"
dependencies.

Note that Fedora has a git-core package that doesn't depend on Perl
while still providing more than enough git for something like a CI
build job.

Good to know. Another point against perl necessarily existing.

As a data point, the libvirt project has made it an explicit goal[1]
to remove all usage of Perl in favor of Python. We're not quite there
yet, but at this point there are only a very tiny handful of Perl
scripts remaining in the repository.

[1] https://libvirt.org/strategy.html

It's a good long term goal, I think.

I'm biased, but:

(1) I understand Python very well
(2) I find perl difficult to work with.

I assume that long-term it will be easier to use Python instead of Perl for most of our precompiler scripts. Based also somewhat on everyone's reaction when someone suggests changes to the checkpatch script, which is "Oh, sure, if YOU write it ..."

--js