qemu-devel

Re: vnc clipboard support

From: Christophe de Dinechin
Subject: Re: vnc clipboard support
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 18:38:43 +0100

> On 28 Jan 2021, at 18:12, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for a good way to implement cut+paste support for vnc.
>
> The vnc core protocol has support for text/plain cut+paste, and there
> is an extension adding support for other formats.  That'll cover one
> part of the problem, exchanging cut+paste data between vnc client and
> qemu vnc server.
>
> The tricky part is the second: the guest <=> qemu communication.
> I see basically two possible approaches here:
>
>  (1) Have some guest agent (spice does it that way).
>      Advantage: more flexible, allows more features.
>      Disadvantage: requires agent in the guest.

What about running the option to relay data to a VNC server in the
guest if there is one running? In other words, using an existing
VNC server as an agent, with the option of having a stripped-down,
clipboard only VNC server as a later optimization.

The benefit I see is that the work of adjusting between the VNC
clipboard protocol and the local OS clipboard is something that is
likely already done when porting VNC, so you leverage that, even
for exotic operating systems. And in many cases, VNC may already
be part of the distro / OS, or at least easy to find.

Then it's a matter of choice whether you want to talk to some
real guest network, or use a character device and route data
through some other non-network path.