qemu-devel

Re: Makefile has local changes that will be overwritten

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: Makefile has local changes that will be overwritten
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 10:36:38 -0500

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 9:58 AM, Stefan Weil <stefan.weil@weilnetz.de> wrote:
>
> Am 01.02.21 um 15:23 schrieb Programmingkid:
>
>> When trying to build QEMU I see this error:
>>
>> error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
>> checkout:
>>      Makefile
>> Please commit your changes or stash them before you switch branches.
>> Aborting
>>
>> What I do to see this error:
>> ./configure --target-list=i386-softmmu
>

> I suggest to start with a clean installation (or clean your existing
> installation manually, especially remove the generated Makefile) and run
> configure from a subdirectory:
>
> mkdir -p build && cd build && ../configure --target-list=i386-softmmu
>
> Running ./configure is no longer supported.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stefan

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it but didn't seem to help. I should

Disabling PIE due to missing toolchain support
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
checkout:
        Makefile
Please commit your changes or stash them before you switch branches.
Aborting
Unable to checkout '85e5d839847af54efab170f2b1331b2a6421e647' in submodule path
'dtc'
/Users/john/Documents/Development/Projects/Qemu/qemu-git/scripts/git-submodule.sh:
 failed to update modules

Unable to automatically checkout GIT submodules ' ui/keycodemapdb
tests/fp/berkeley-testfloat-3 tests/fp/berkeley-softfloat-3 meson dtc capstone
slirp'.
If you require use of an alternative GIT binary (for example to
enable use of a transparent proxy), then please specify it by
running configure by with the '--with-git' argument. e.g.

 $ ./configure --with-git='tsocks git'

Alternatively you may disable automatic GIT submodule checkout
with:

 $ ./configure --with-git-submodules=validate

and then manually update submodules prior to running make, with:

 $ scripts/git-submodule.sh update  ui/keycodemapdb