qemu-devel

Re: vnc clipboard support

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: vnc clipboard support
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:40:51 +0100

  Hi,

> > Well, spice isn't that much better.  Has a short, fixed list too:
> >
> > VD_AGENT_CLIPBOARD_UTF8_TEXT

> There has been some attempts to support generic mime types in Spice clipboard:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2018-May/043782.html
>
> (If I am not mistaken, I think it was inspired on some earlier attempt
> I worked on I lost trace)
>
> In any case, it seems there is just not enough interest for other
> things beside the existing Spice clipboard types.

I guess "text/plain; charset=utf-8" covers 95% of the use cases.

Personally I *very* rarely cut+paste anything beside plan text,
and in case it is formated text it typically is something like
markdown ;)

> Interoperability
> between OSes quickly becomes problematic for more advanced types, I am
> afraid. (and various OS-specific clipboard & dnd details may raise)

That too.

I'll guess I start with text only, but of course keep the door open to
add more later on.  So I need some way to specify the type(s).  Obvious
choices are fixed list (like vnc/spice) or mime.  The later is more
flexible and future-proof of course, but I'm not sure we'll actually
need that in practice ...

take care,
  Gerd