qemu-devel

Re: Qemu mipssim patches, mips malta and virtio bugs

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Qemu mipssim patches, mips malta and virtio bugs
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 07:39:59 +0100

On 13/02/2021 14.14, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
On 2/13/21 11:05 AM, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:44:55AM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
i'd like to get the following simple patches to the MIPS/mipssim target adding
virtio-mmio devices to it.

Please submit your patches as a series so we can review them on
the list:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch#Use_git_format-patch

Oh thanks, i didn't know that; i've created a new patch with the OR gate you
suggested. We deliberated about the change here and we'll at least keep it
here locally for testing and profiling code until a real `virt' platform is
developed for MIPS. Until then it would IMHO be a good expansion to mipssim.
I'll try to get a proper patch posted on the list :)

What I forgot to mention is that QEMU aims to keep models the closer
to the hardware, so modifying MIPSsim to some Frankenstein is unlikely
to be accepted.

Well, mipssim never was a real hardware, in fact it is already some kind of "virt" machine. So you could theoretically also extend this machine instead of introducing a new one (but I'm not a MIPS guy, so no clue what makes more sense).

 Thomas