qemu-devel

Re: Mac OS real USB device support issue

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: Mac OS real USB device support issue
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 10:31:11 -0400

> On Apr 6, 2021, at 10:01 AM, Howard Spoelstra <hsp.cat7@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:44 PM Programmingkid <programmingkidx@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gerd,
>>
>> I was wondering if you had access to a Mac OS 10 or Mac OS 11 machine to
>> test USB support. I am on Mac OS 11.1 and cannot make USB devices work with
>> any of my guests. So far these are the guests I have tested with:
>>
>> - Windows 7
>> - Mac OS 9.2
>> - Windows 2000
>>
>> I have tried using USB flash drives, USB sound cards, and an USB headset.
>> They all show up under 'info usb', but cannot be used in the guest. My setup
>> does use a USB-C hub so I'm not sure if this is a bug with QEMU or an issue
>> with the hub. Would you have any information on this issue?
>
> Hi John,
>
> As far as the Mac OS 9.2 guest is concerned on a mac OS host, it does
> not support USB 2.0. I was successful only in passing through a USB
> flash drive that was forced into USB 1.1 mode by connecting it to a
> real USB 1.1 hub and unloading the kext it used.
>
> Best,
> Howard

Hi Howard, I was actually thinking about CC'ing you for this email. Glad you
found it. Unloading kext files does not sound pleasant. Maybe there is some
better way of doing it.

Thanks.

Currently there doesn't appear to be a single page with info on how to use USB
devices in QEMU with a Mac OS host. Hopefully when I have collected enough
information I can make one.