qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] tcg plugin: Additional plugin interface

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [RFC] tcg plugin: Additional plugin interface
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16:44:49 +0100

Min-Yih Hsu <minyihh@uci.edu> writes:

> Hi Alex and QEMU developers,
>
> Recently I was working with the TCG plugin. I found that
> `qemu_plugin_cb_flags` seems to reserve the functionality to
> read / write CPU register state, I'm wondering if you can share some
> roadmap or thoughts on this feature?

I think reading the CPU register state is certainly on the roadmap,
writing registers presents a more philosophical question of if it opens
the way to people attempting a GPL bypass via plugins. However reading
registers would certainly be a worthwhile addition to the API.

> Personally I see reading the CPU register state as (kind of) low-hanging
> fruit. The most straightforward way to implement
> it will be adding another function that can be called by insn_exec callbacks
> to read (v)CPU register values. What do you
> think about this?

It depends on your definition of low hanging fruit ;-)

Yes the implementation would be a simple helper which could be called
from a callback - I don't think we need to limit it to just insn_exec. I
think the challenge is proving a non-ugly API that works cleanly across
all the architectures. I'm not keen on exposing arbitrary gdb register
IDs to the plugins.

There has been some discussion previously on the list which is probably
worth reviewing: