qemu-devel

Re: Let's remove some deprecated stuff

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Let's remove some deprecated stuff
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 13:17:16 +0200

On 29/04/2021 11.59, Markus Armbruster wrote:
If you're cc'ed, you added a section to docs/system/deprecated.rst that
is old enough to permit removal.  This is *not* a demand to remove, it's
a polite request to consider whether the time for removal has come.
Extra points for telling us in a reply.  "We should remove, but I can't
do it myself right now" is a valid answer.  Let's review the file:
[...]
Thomas Huth:

     ``moxie`` CPU (since 5.2.0)
     '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

     The ``moxie`` guest CPU support is deprecated and will be removed in
     a future version of QEMU. It's unclear whether anybody is still using
     CPU emulation in QEMU, and there are no test images available to make
     sure that the code is still working.

I'm fine with dropping moxie now - I've never seen anybody using it and I've never spotted any binaries in the internet that could still be used for regression testing of this target. And I've also put Anthony Green on CC: when I suggested the deprecation and he never replied. So I think it's really completely unused.

     ``lm32`` CPUs (since 5.2.0)
     '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

     The ``lm32`` guest CPU support is deprecated and will be removed in
     a future version of QEMU. The only public user of this architecture
     was the milkymist project, which has been dead for years; there was
     never an upstream Linux port.

     ``unicore32`` CPUs (since 5.2.0)

     The ``unicore32`` guest CPU support is deprecated and will be removed in
     a future version of QEMU. Support for this CPU was removed from the
     upstream Linux kernel, and there is no available upstream toolchain
     to build binaries for it.

I didn't add these two entries to the deprecation list, I just moved them around since they were in the wrong section. Both have been added by Peter instead (commit d8498005122 and 8e4ff4a8d2b)

 Thomas