qemu-devel

Re: Let's remove some deprecated stuff

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Let's remove some deprecated stuff
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:01:06 +0200

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org> writes:

> On 4/29/21 3:46 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> Hmm.  Not so easy I suspect.  While most sound cards map to a single
>> device there are exceptions.  pcspk is build-in and hda is two devices.
>
> What do you mean by "pcspk is build-in"?
>
> Do you mean "the 'pcspk' audiodev is build in the 8254 PIT device"?
> (see pcspk_audio_init).

I think so.  The 8254 is an onboard device, i.e. it's always there.  In
real PC hardware, one of its timers is wired to a speaker.  In our
virtual hardware, we have separate "isa-pit" (or "kvm-pit) and
"isa-pcspk" devices, where the latter connects to the former via link
property "pit", and may be connected to an audio backend, but isn't by
default.  To connect to one, use -machine pcspk-audiodev=...

> FWIW I'm using this device as example to work on the PWM API,
> and I see the AUD API as a generic DSP processing one.
> And in my TODO I have "split pcspk audiodev backend from 8254".

Not sure I understand your TODO, but then I don't have to :)