qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 06/35] hw/acpi: refactor acpi hp modules so that targets can j

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [PULL 06/35] hw/acpi: refactor acpi hp modules so that targets can just use what they need
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 12:24:05 +0200

On 9/6/21 12:03 PM, Ani Sinha wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2021, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> On 9/4/21 11:36 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>> From: Ani Sinha <ani@anisinha.ca>
>>>
>>> Currently various acpi hotplug modules like cpu hotplug, memory hotplug, pci
>>> hotplug, nvdimm hotplug are all pulled in when CONFIG_ACPI_X86 is turned on.
>>> This brings in support for whole lot of subsystems that some targets like
>>> mips does not need. They are added just to satisfy symbol dependencies. This
>>> is ugly and should be avoided. Targets should be able to pull in just what
>>> they
>>> need and no more. For example, mips only needs support for PIIX4 and does
>>> not
>>> need acpi pci hotplug support or cpu hotplug support or memory hotplug
>>> support
>>> etc. This change is an effort to clean this up.
>>> In this change, new config variables are added for various acpi hotplug
>>> subsystems. Targets like mips can only enable PIIX4 support and not the rest
>>> of all the other modules which were being previously pulled in as a part of
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_X86. Function stubs make sure that symbols which piix4 needs but
>>> are not required by mips (for example, symbols specific to pci hotplug etc)
>>> are available to satisfy the dependencies.
>>>
>>> Currently, this change only addresses issues with mips malta targets. In
>>> future
>>> we might be able to clean up other targets which are similarly pulling in
>>> lot
>>> of unnecessary hotplug modules by enabling ACPI_X86.
>>>
>>> This change should also address issues such as the following:
>>> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/221
>>> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/193
>>
>> FYI per https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/issue_closing_pattern.html
>> this should have been:
>>
>> Resolves: https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/193
>> Resolves: https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/221
>>

> Ah my apologies. Will do this next time.
>
>> Can we close these issues manually?
>
> Since both you and I have verified that those issues gets fixed with my
> change, yes we can close them. I do not have a gitlab account. Should I
> have one? Is there special permissions needed to handle these tickets?

Since you are listed in the MAINTAINERS file, long-term you'll
eventually use it anyway (i.e. to run the CI pipelines before sending
patches, to subscribe to the 'ACPI' label to get notifications or
comment ACPI-related issues).

The process is quite straight-forward, once having an account you
simply request to be member of the project via the WebUI then you
can help triaging the issues (and closing these two).

Regards,

Phil.