qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v3 13/32] rust: use vendored-sources

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 13/32] rust: use vendored-sources
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 17:22:07 +0100

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 17:17, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 7:55 PM Ian Jackson <iwj@xenproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Marc-André Lureau writes ("Re: [RFC v3 13/32] rust: use vendored-sources"):
>> > Hmm, I do "cargo vendor --versioned-dirs ../rust/vendored" to vendor
>> > crates.
>> >
>> > It seems cc was updated, and I didn't update the submodule accordingly. For
>> > reference, this is the dependency tree that WFM:
>>
>> git submodules are just awful IMO.
>

> Yes, but it's often (always?) the user fault.

I tend to agree with Ian -- submodules are badly designed, and
have lots of sharp edges that it's easy to cut yourself on.
Yes, you can say "well, the user should have held it by the other handle
because that one isn't fitted with the spring-loaded razorblades", but I
would argue that fault is better placed at the door of the designer in
that kind of situation...

-- PMM