qemu-devel

Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support

From: Brad Smith
Subject: Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:23:21 -0400

On 9/17/2021 4:58 AM, David Gibson wrote:
Hi all,

At the qemu-in-rust BoF at KVM Forum, I volunteered to look into
whether Rust supported all the host/build platforms that qemu does,
which is obviously vital if we want to make Rust a non-optional
component of the build.

I've added the information to our wiki at:
        https://wiki.qemu.org/RustInQemu

TBH, the coverage is not as good as I expected.  Linux, macOS and
Windows are pretty much ok, with the exception of Linux on Sparc.
There are a lot of gaps in *BSD support, however.

I've included some notes on where the information comes from, and some
uncertainties in there.

I've made an effort to get the information correct, but double
checking would be appreciated.

I haven't yet looked into the packaging situation for the Rust
toolchain on various platforms and distros, but I still intend to do
so.

Regarding this entry on the Wiki page..

"I think OpenBSD lacks mips32 support, but the presence of Loongson means I'm having trouble pinning that down with certainty"

That is correct. Our loongson port is mips64el. OpenBSD only supports
64-bit MIPS.

OpenBSD currently only provides packages and host tools for aarch64,
amd64, i386 and sparc64.

So for the Wiki armv7, MIPS (64-bit), PPC (32-bit) should be changed
to N/A. The SPARC (64-bit) entry should be changed to yellow.

I'd like to fill in the gaps for arm, mips64, mips64el, powerpc, powerpc64, and riscv64.