qemu-devel

Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support

From: Ed Maste
Subject: Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 09:58:57 -0400

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 01:14, David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

> I've updated my table entry to N/A on that basis.  Thanks for the
> clarification, this wasn't obvious to me from
> https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ (it says "Tier 4", without
> explaining what that means).

That is indeed a bit confusing. If you click on the "Support Tier"
link (in the table heading) it's documented as:

21.6. Tier 4: Unsupported Architectures
Tier 4 platforms are not supported in any form by the project.

We (FreeBSD) should really just remove that and replace Tier 4 with unsupported.

> Might be worth talking to the Rust people as well, to see if you can
> get a promotion from Tier3 to Tier2.

Yes, good idea. I've had discussions with a few Arm folks about
improving the rust tier for FreeBSD/arm64, but should do this for
x86_64 as well.