qemu-devel

Re: QAPI sync meeting

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: QAPI sync meeting
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:53:21 +0100

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 12:55:34PM -0400, John Snow wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I'd like to propose that at least the three of us arrange a time to have a
> meeting where we discuss our plans and ideas for QAPI going forward,
> including rust, python, and golang extensions to the QAPI generator, what
> we hope to accomplish with those projects, and so on.
>
> What I am hoping to get out of this for myself is a high-level overview of
> people's plans for QAPI and to produce some notes on those plans so that I
> can have a reference that we've all acknowledged as roughly accurate to be
> able to keep the community's design goals for QAPI in mind as I continue my
> own development. Ultimately, I'd like some kind of rough draft of a "QAPI
> roadmap".
>
> I know there was a rust meetup during KVM Forum, but I was unable to attend
> due to the timing. I'd like to expand the focus a little more broadly to
> QAPI in general and discuss our "personal" roadmaps, goals, queued work,
> etc so that we can collaboratively formulate a broader vision of our work.
>
> I'm posting to qemu-devel in case anyone else has an interest in this area
> and would like to eavesdrop or share opinions, but we should probably come
> up with an agenda first. So:

I'd be interested in discussions

> Proposed agenda:
>
> Current projects, wishlists, and goals for QAPI:
> - Markus (~10 min)
> - Marc-Andre (~10 min) (Rust, dbus, etc?)
> - jsnow (~10 min) (Python, golang, etc)
>
> Formulating short-term and long-term roadmaps:
> - Open discussion, ~30 min
> - Collaboratively produce a summary doc (etherpad?) outlining major work to
> be done, separated into near and long terms
> - Upload this summary to the QEMU wiki and mail it back out to qemu-devel
> - We probably won't exactly finish this bit, but we can resume on the
> mailing list afterwards perfectly well.
>
> (Feel free to propose anything different for the meeting, this is just a
> jumping off point for discussion.)

My interest is in a roadmap for getting to a point where we have
ability to configure QEMU  VMs in a "legacy free" way. By this I
mean

   - 100% of configuration is driven by QAPI defined schemas
   - HMP and QemuOpts are banished/untangled from internals of
     QEMU, such that they are just a shim around the canonical
     QAPI and could even be done as a separate wrapper process
   - May or may not involve qemu-system-XXX vs a new "qemu-vm" binary
   - May or may not involve QMP vs a REST API taking QAPI JSON vs
     something else.

> - Any weekday after 13:00 UTC. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays work
> particularly well for me at the moment.
> - bluejeans and google meeting both work well for me. Open to alternatives.

Are you suggesting a 1-off meeting or a regular meeting, or an adhoc
set of meetings ?

Regards,
Daniel