qemu-devel

Re: QAPI sync meeting

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: QAPI sync meeting
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:43:26 -0400

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 9:53 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 12:55:34PM -0400, John Snow wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I'd like to propose that at least the three of us arrange a time to have a
> meeting where we discuss our plans and ideas for QAPI going forward,
> including rust, python, and golang extensions to the QAPI generator, what
> we hope to accomplish with those projects, and so on.
>
> What I am hoping to get out of this for myself is a high-level overview of
> people's plans for QAPI and to produce some notes on those plans so that I
> can have a reference that we've all acknowledged as roughly accurate to be
> able to keep the community's design goals for QAPI in mind as I continue my
> own development. Ultimately, I'd like some kind of rough draft of a "QAPI
> roadmap".
>
> I know there was a rust meetup during KVM Forum, but I was unable to attend
> due to the timing. I'd like to expand the focus a little more broadly to
> QAPI in general and discuss our "personal" roadmaps, goals, queued work,
> etc so that we can collaboratively formulate a broader vision of our work.
>
> I'm posting to qemu-devel in case anyone else has an interest in this area
> and would like to eavesdrop or share opinions, but we should probably come
> up with an agenda first. So:

I'd be interested in discussions

> Proposed agenda:
>
> Current projects, wishlists, and goals for QAPI:
> - Markus (~10 min)
> - Marc-Andre (~10 min) (Rust, dbus, etc?)
> - jsnow (~10 min) (Python, golang, etc)
>
> Formulating short-term and long-term roadmaps:
> - Open discussion, ~30 min
> - Collaboratively produce a summary doc (etherpad?) outlining major work to
> be done, separated into near and long terms
> - Upload this summary to the QEMU wiki and mail it back out to qemu-devel
> - We probably won't exactly finish this bit, but we can resume on the
> mailing list afterwards perfectly well.
>
> (Feel free to propose anything different for the meeting, this is just a
> jumping off point for discussion.)

My interest is in a roadmap for getting to a point where we have
ability to configure QEMU  VMs in a "legacy free" way. By this I
mean

   - 100% of configuration is driven by QAPI defined schemas
   - HMP and QemuOpts are banished/untangled from internals of
     QEMU, such that they are just a shim around the canonical
     QAPI and could even be done as a separate wrapper process
   - May or may not involve qemu-system-XXX vs a new "qemu-vm" binary
   - May or may not involve QMP vs a REST API taking QAPI JSON vs
     something else.

More or less in agreement. Devil's in the details as always!

> - Any weekday after 13:00 UTC. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays work
> particularly well for me at the moment.
> - bluejeans and google meeting both work well for me. Open to alternatives.

Are you suggesting a 1-off meeting or a regular meeting, or an adhoc
set of meetings ?

I'm proposing a one-off here just for some initial discussion and planning. (We didn't have a QAPI BoF at KVM Forum and I'd like something similar now.) I don't expect we'll really "finish" plotting out a roadmap in a single 60 minute meeting, but it will probably give us good, targeted discussions on the ML to follow. If more meetings are desired to discuss specific topics, I'm not against scheduling them as-needed.

(I personally don't really mind semi-regular sync-up meetings, like once every other month or something to that effect -- it keeps me motivated and on track. I suspect that Markus does not quite feel the same way about 'em, so I'm just trying to not sign him up for stuff.)

--js