qemu-devel

Re: Getting rid of the last bits of QEMU's 'ad-hoc CI' for merges

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Getting rid of the last bits of QEMU's 'ad-hoc CI' for merges
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:30:31 +0200

On 16/05/2022 14.43, Peter Maydell wrote:
We've made pretty good progress on transitioning our pre-merge CI
from running ad-hoc on machines the person doing the merge has access to
to all CI being driven by the Gitlab CI infrastructure. For this (7.1) release
cycle I think ideally we should try to get rid of the last few bits
of ad-hoc CI so that for 7.2 we are using only the gitlab CI. (This
will help in handing over merge request management to Stefan for 7.2.)

I think the last setups I have been using ad-hoc scripting for are:

(1) PPC64 big-endian Linux
(2) NetBSD (x86)
(3) OpenBSD (x86)

I think we can get away with just dropping ppc64be -- we have
coverage for it as a cross-compile setup, and hopefully the
s390x CI runner will catch the various "fails tests on big-endian host"
issues. (Alternatively if anybody has a ppc64be machine they'd like
to let us run a gitlab CI runner on, we could do that :-))

Ack, that should cover most scenarios already. (tcg backend is the only one that would not get any coverage anymore)

For the BSDs, the ad-hoc CI is just running the tests/vm
"make vm-build-netbsd" etc. Is there some way we can get
coverage of this into the gitlab CI setup? (I think we
have FreeBSD via Cirrus CI, so I have not listed that one.)

A simple setup is already there, running NetBSD and OpenBSD via KVM on the Cirrus-CI, see e.g.:

 https://gitlab.com/thuth/qemu/-/jobs/2411943817#L1973

Caveats:
- The jobs are currently marked as "manual only" since the double
  indirect setup (via cirrus-run and KVM) is not that reliable.
  Also we can not run that many cirrus-ci jobs in parallel, so
  we likely don't want to enable these by default.
- Compilation is not very fast, the jobs often run longer than
  1h, though the --target-list is very short already.

Anyway, this should show that running NetBSD and OpenBSD is very well possible in our CI - we just need a more powerful x86 host with KVM enabled for this.

 Thomas