qemu-devel

Re: out of CI pipeline minutes again

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: out of CI pipeline minutes again
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 09:53:51 +0000

Eldon Stegall <eldon-qemu@eldondev.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 12:43:55PM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> - Personally, I don't think this should exclude other efforts like
>> Eldon's. We can always add more private runners!
>
> Hi!
> Thanks so much to Alex, Thomas, Gerd, et al for the pointers.
>
> Although the month has passed and presumably gitlab credits have
> replenished, I am interested in continuing my efforts to replicate the
> shared runner capabilities. After some tinkering I was able to utilise
> Gerd's stateless runner strategy with a few changes, and had a number of
> tests pass in a pipeline on my repo:
>
> https://gitlab.com/eldondev/qemu/-/pipelines/791573670

Looking good. Eyeballing the run times they seem to be faster as well. I
assume the runner is less loaded than the shared gitlab ones?

> Looking at the failures, it seems that some may already be addressed in
> patchsets, and some may be attributable to things like open file handle
> count, which would be useful to configure directly on the d-in-d
> runners, so I will investigate those after integrating the changes from
> the past couple of days.
>
> I have been reading through Alex's patchsets to lower CI time in the
> hopes that I might be able to contribute something there from my
> learnings on these pipelines. If there is an intent to switch to the
> kubernetes gitlab executor, I have worked with kubernetes a number of
> times in the past, and I can trial that as well.

I've dropped that patch for now but I might revisit once the current
testing/next is done.

> Even with the possibility of turning on Azure and avoiding these monthly
> crunches, maybe I can provide some help improving the turnaround time of
> some of the jobs themselves, once I polish off greening the remaining
> failures on my fork.
>
> Forgive me if I knock around a bit here while I figure out how to be
> useful.

No problem, thanks for taking the time to look into it.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro