qemu-devel

Re: Is the fix for "DMA MMIO reentrancy" in qemu stable now?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Is the fix for "DMA MMIO reentrancy" in qemu stable now?
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:13:38 +0000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 at 11:00, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2023 09.27, byzero wrote:
> > Hi,
> > The bug class of MMIO reentrancy is fixed by adding a member "memory" in the
> > struct "MemTxAttrs", but the patch only exists in 7.x version, which is only
> > release version, but not stable version. The latest stable version is 6.1,
> > and there is no stable version being released for nearly a year.  According
> > to the docs(https://www.qemu.org/download/
> > <https://www.qemu.org/download/>): "The stable trees are located in branches
> > named stable-X.YY branch, where X.YY is the release version.".
> >    So I want to know that if the patch is stable enough? Will the community
> > be possible to change the way for fixing the bug class?
> >    thanks for reading this email.
>
>   Hi,
>
> as far as I know, there are currently no more stable releases, due to time
> constraints of the stable maintainer. So your best option is currently to
> pick the corresponding patches and apply them on your own before compiling
> QEMU.

Regardless, note that if you care about security issues then you
always needed to
either be using a distro provided QEMU or else be doing your own curating
and applying of security related patches. The 'stable releases' have always
been a convenience for people and distros interested in bug fixes of various
kinds; they were never "quick point releases for security related fixes".

-- PMM