qemu-devel

Re: Adding default config options to the tuxrun baseline kernels and ena

From: Remi Duraffort
Subject: Re: Adding default config options to the tuxrun baseline kernels and enabling sshd
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:53:58 +0100

Hello Alex,

Le ven. 24 mars 2023 à 12:02, Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> a écrit :
Hi guys,

I've been working with David on adding testing for the new KVM Xen guest
functionality and had a couple of questions. His original test is based
on fedora and is fairly comprehensive:

  https://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/qemu.git/commitdiff/48f78f9bb860dca446e20d6ed8db3aa9d857505f

but we did try building a scratch kernel and using the rest of the
baseline infrastructure which worked well enough:

  https://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/qemu.git/commitdiff/8b9e04d1c7c942f51b575b94fd280bd2353f76b6

but obviously the kernel there is pulling directly from tuxsuite so will
time out soon enough. They were built with the following tuxbuild
config:

  version: 1
  name: Xen Guest Kernels
  jobs:
  - builds:
      - {target_arch: x86_64, toolchain: gcc-12, kconfig: [defconfig, "CONFIG_XEN=y", "CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y", "CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y", "CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM_GUEST=y"]}
      - {target_arch: i386, toolchain: gcc-12, kconfig: [defconfig, "CONFIG_XEN=y", "CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y", "CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y", "CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM_GUEST=y"]}
    test: {device: qemu-x86_64, tests: [ltp-smoke]}

The other nice thing about his original tests where using ssh which
avoids a) avoids some of the flakeness of using the serial port and b)
has an explicit success/fail for each command without having to scrape
pass/fail from the log.

So two questions:

  - is there a process for adding kernel options to the baseline kernels
    or should we build our own and store them somewhere?

  - what would it take to get dropbear added to the baseline ext4 images
    so we can enable sshd?

The kernels and rootfs are built by this gitlab project: https://gitlab.com/LinaroLtd/tuxsuite.com/tuxtest/tuxtest-buildroot using buildroot.
So for sure we can add sshd support quickly. Regarding the support for xen, this can be added for arm64 if you want (only arm64 or something else)?

Thanks,

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro