qemu-discuss

Re: shared disk (DOS)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: shared disk (DOS)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:16:21 +0100

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 at 22:02, Tomas By <tomas@basun.net> wrote:
> I was thinking maybe there could be some combination of two different
> formats, like QEMU sees OCFS2 but the DOS programs see FAT.
>
> i.e. disk image formatted as OCFS2 and then the actual content is FAT,
> formatted from DOS.

No, that doesn't work. QEMU doesn't "see" filesystem formats at all.
To QEMU, a disk is simply a big bag of bytes. It can have anything
on it that the guest wants, and it's up to the guest how it interprets
it: QEMU just provides the functionality for "read some bytes"
and "write some bytes". Whether the disk has a FAT filesystem on it
or something else is up to the guest. (This is exactly the same way
that a real hard disk can have anything on it, and the disk itself
has no knowledge about the format.)

-- PMM