qemu-discuss

Accessing the contents of a savevm snapshot

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Accessing the contents of a savevm snapshot
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 21:17:27 +0200

For purposes of doing minimum-interruption backups of virtual machines, I am looking for ways to access the contents of copying/reading a savevm snapshot while the VM continues running past the time of the snapshot.  This will later be followed by a delvm HMP command to discard the temporary snapshot and resume non-qow use of the disk image file.

However looking through the (scattered) qemu documentation, I see no commands to access the snapshot while the VM continues to run. Neither the disk contents snapshotted by the savevm command, nor the VM state also saved by the savevm command.

What am I missing?

Enjoy

Jakob