qemu-discuss

Re: Emulate custom machine on qemu-4.2.0

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Emulate custom machine on qemu-4.2.0
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:54:51 +0100

On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 12:13, abhijeet inamdar
<abhijeetinamdar3005@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now there are some many UART implemented in the hw/char. What should we look
> for or how do you choose which one to use? or implement similar kind.

You implement what the hardware you are modelling has, obviously.
This is why we have so many -- real hardware boards and SoCs
often use different devices to perform similar functions.
The software expects to see specific hardware when it runs
on a particular board model, so that is what we need to provide.

>  I'm new to these so can you suggest me the basic one so that I can try and
> implement it?

If you don't care what hardware you're using and just want
"some kind of Cortex-M board", then use one of the ones we
already have; you don't need to implement anything new.
The mps2-* and mps3-* boards are probably a good choice.

-- PMM