qemu-discuss

IPA range (41 bits) larger than the one supported by the host (40 bits)

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: IPA range (41 bits) larger than the one supported by the host (40 bits)
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 14:40:19 +0800

Hello community,

   I am trying to run qemu-system-aarch64 on a Kylin based machine, the host kernel version is 4.19. qemu is versioned 4.2.1. The command I am running is "qemu-system-aarch64 -cpu host -enable-kvm -machine virt -m size=4G,maxmem=512G". This command failed with "qemu-system-aarch64: -m and ,maxmem option values require an IPA range (41 bits) larger than the one supported by the host (40 bits)".
   I am confused because 2^40 is around 1TB which is greater than 512G. Would be very appreciated to get some insights. Thank you very much for the help in advance.

--

Best Regards,

Jiatong Shen