qemu-discuss

Issues with network device since Qemu 6.0.0 (German Windows Server 2022)

From: Mike Höhn
Subject: Issues with network device since Qemu 6.0.0 (German Windows Server 2022)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:20:53 +0200

Hello,

I'm having a problem with a german Windows Server 2022 Standard. With Qemu
versions 6.0.0 and following the network device isn't working. Right after
installation Windows shows the following status in the device manager:

"Die Klassenkonfiguration für dieses Gerät wird von Windows noch eingerichtet.
(Code 56)."
English translation should be:
"Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code
56)"

I doesn't matter if I use virtio or e1000 for the network device. When
installing the virtio driver (I tried 215, 217 and 221) it takes several
minutes until an error message appears. With e1000 the Windows installation
process takes significantly longer, as if it's doing something for several
minutes, like when installing the virtio driver.

So I guess it's not the virtio driver. I have tried so many things, but
nothing helps. Interestingly i can get Windows Server 2022 to work without
problems using Qemu 5.2.0. The virtio driver installs quickly and without
problems.

The same problem occurs when installing Windows with Qemu 5.2.0 and then
booting the working Windows with Qemu 6.0.0 or newer. After windows has booted
with Qemu 6.0.0, the network device is not functional anymore.

There's this thread in a Proxmox forum (I don't know Proxmox, but it seems to
use Qemu):

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-server-2022-virtio.97887/

I hope this links works for translating the whole page to english:
https://forum-proxmox-com.translate.goog/threads/windows-server-2022-virtio.
97887/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

People there say they have the exact same problem with the German edition of
Windows Server 2022, but the english version would work. Unfortunately I don't
have access to the english version.
Some say q35 5.1 and 6.0 would work, 6.1 not. I tried this all, but with Qemu
6.0.0 or newer it just doesn't work at all.

I think it's clear that something must have changed between Qemu 5.2.0 and
6.0.0. But what and why? Is this a bug? Or do I need to configure Qemu
differently? I have no clue.

Does anyone have an idea what the reason for this problem could be and how it
could be solved?

Here's my configuration:

Host is Slackware 15.0 64 bit. CPU is a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X.
This is the build script used to compile Qemu:
https://www.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/15.0/system/qemu/qemu.SlackBuild
I tried from 5.2.0 to 7.0.0 and also the master branch using this script.

The guest is using UEFI with OVMF 20220719.209.

Windows is the following version:
Windows Server 2022 Standard, German. Version 21H2, Build 20348.169.

This is how I start Qemu:

/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -enable-kvm -name dc1 -m 8G -k de -drive
if=pflash,format=raw,readonly=on,file=/root/ovmf/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/
OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd -drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/var/lib/kvm/dc1/
vars.fd -drive id=disk0,if=none,cache=unsafe,format=qcow2,file=/var/lib/kvm/
dc1/dc1.qcow2 -drive id=cd0,if=none,format=raw,readonly=on,file=/root/
WindowsServer2022.iso -drive id=virtiocd,if=none,format=raw,file=/root/virtio-
win-0.1.215.iso -vnc :20 -usb -device driver=virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi0 -device
scsi-hd,drive=disk0 -device driver=ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=cd0 -device
driver=ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd -device usb-tablet -net
nic,macaddr=DE:DE:DE:DE:DE:DE,model=e1000 -net tap,script=/etc/qemu-ifup -
monitor telnet:localhost:1020,server,nowait -daemonize -boot menu=on -smp 2 -
cpu host

I hope someone can help. Let me know if there is something I can do to find
the reason for this problem.

Thank you in advance
Mike