qemu-ppc

QEMU and E500

From: Andrea Palmatè
Subject: QEMU and E500
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:12:50 +0200

I'm trying in all ways to emulate a machine with e500 using an x86 host.
I've tried several distro (SPE too) but no luck. The machine will not boot using an ISO. I've tried both ppce500 and mpc8544ds. I need to emulate the cpu e500v2 because I need to do some tests with linux.
If I add the ISO and also the HD they are seen in virtio info but there is no way to boot from them.

I've also tried a different uboot version created for a specific e500v2 CPU but there is no way to load it. I always receive the message from qemu that bios can't be loaded due a wrong image type (180 expected 2). Is there a way to force qemu ppc to load a different u-boot bios with that cpu?

--
Saluti,
Andrea Palmatè