qemu-ppc

Re: QEMU and E500

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: QEMU and E500
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:57:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
On Fri Aug 4, 2023 at 2:06 AM AEST, Andrea Palmatè wrote:
Of course I did..
There are no great examples that use that machine.. That link is one of the
few I've found online. And no one of them are using an ISO to boot via CD

How is it not booting? Can you take the kernel from the ISO and boot it
directly with -kernel? Linux needs CONFIG_PPC_QEMU_E500=y which might
not be set.

This wasn't clear from the report and took me some time to get too but the keyword is -cpu e500v2 which looks like this CPU is not well supported by Linux so one needs to dig up some experimental kernel for it then find the problem that there's no user space for it too. I think that's the main problem here in my understanding but not too sure either.

Just e500 and e500mc boots OK with an appropriate distro that supports it.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

Il giorno gio 3 ago 2023 alle ore 17:10 BALATON Zoltan <balaton@eik.bme.hu>