Re: [RP] a few recommendations

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] a few recommendations
Date: 12 Feb 2001 17:58:44 -0800

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

> I wouldn't mind if the selection bar acts like alt-tab in KDE or win95.
> *ducks*

you'll have to explain this better.

> 1) No colors.  Eliminate any color based code.

the defaults in my tree are now black on white, with the current
window being represented by xoring the region.  colors are still in
though, we can see if everyone is happy with just black and white
before we rip the excess color code out.

> 2) I like the idea that closing the last app exits ratpoison.  Also please
>    make it spawn an xterm on starting up.

i dont really agree with this anymore.  i dont want x going down when
i close my last window.  starting an xterm on bootup?  edit your
.xinitrc to start one before ratpoison.

> 3) Background. Please make it black by default, not that ugly gray X uses.

this is not the wm's job.  use a desktop manager, or set it in your
.xinitrc before starting the wm.

> Maybe make that first xterm that pops up register itself as /dev/console for
> accepting kernel error spam messages and such.  Or even the X server stderr
> messages :>  Really freak someone out, they think they start X, but they
> see the startup messages and a shell prompt...  Make X invisible until
> one starts a graphical app.

this might be useful actually.  *if* we do have anything start up by
default it should be something like a /dev/console.  how portable is
something like this though?  although i do think all of that can still
be done with your .xinitrc.

adding things like background color and on boot up program launches is
only going to bloat the code.  not everyone will agree how it should
look/what should be booted up by default, etc.

Ryan

--
I want EARS!  I want two ROUND BLACK EARS to make me feel warm 'n secure!!