[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [RP] Rant. (Re: LP interview, irclog)

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Rant. (Re: LP interview, irclog)
Date: 20 Apr 2001 16:38:45 -0700
User-agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.0.102

Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> OT: (why is it not called keyboardcontrol and fullscreen in english
> b.t.w.? or is it? are there any rules for when to write words
> together and when not to?)

Here's an off-the-cuff hypothesis:

Only noun+noun combines to form a new word (usually a noun) but only
if first word is monosyllabic.  Otherwise the words stay separate.

* "full screen" is adj+noun therefore 2 words

* "keyboard control" is noun+noun but keyboard is 2 syllables
  therefore 2 words

* "chalkboard" is noun+noun therefore 1 word

* "ratpoison" is noun+noun therefore 1 word

I'm sure you'll have no problem coming up with data that does not fit
this rule.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]