Re: [RP] A new `symbind' command

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [RP] A new `symbind' command
Date: Wed Sep 12 10:45:02 2001

Gergely Nagy <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> Today, while playing with ratpoison, I accidentally hit C-t C-c, and
> to my surprise, I saw an xterm.. I was puzzled for a few seconds,
> since I bound C-t c to aterm in my ratpoisonrc. Then, I realised I
> actually hit C-c instead of c. Ouch.
>
> So I wondered if I could find an easy way to make C-t C-c behave the
> same as C-t c, even after changing C-t c, but not C-t C-c. That was
> the original intent behind binding the same command to two different
> keys, wasn't it?
>
> So, I came up with the attached simple patch, that adds a symbind
> <key> command. How does it work? It receives <key> as the paramater,
> looks up the command bound to it, and executes that. You can think of
> it as a symlink to another keybinding.

This is a good idea, although it's probably fairly easy to change both
the <letter> and C-<letter> bindings in a .ratpoisonrc file.
It seems this would be most useful if it's used to bind <letter> and
C-<letter> in the default ratpoison configuration.
I've been looking through the mailing list archives, I seem to recall
some discussion when <letter> and C-<letter> stopped being bound
together by default, but I couldn't find it.  (By the way, what
happened to the t-shirts?)  symbind could be used, I suppose, to
restore this behavior, while allowing users to bind <letter> and
C-<letter> to different commands if they want; i.e., if I just had
bind k clock
in my .ratpoisonrc file, then both C-t k and C-t C-k would show the
clock, but also allow me to add
bind C-k xterm
for example.
I don't know if that's desirable, but overall, symbind seems like a
neat idea.

Jay