[RP] Meta/Generate and misc things

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: [RP] Meta/Generate and misc things
Date: Thu Oct 4 09:54:02 2001

First comment - it seems like the search in the archives is pretty
much worthless. Even searching for ratmenu turns up nothing. So the
following are presented with the expectation they might not be new,
but I couldn't find it in the archives, checkin recent subject lines.

First, and most importantly, meta (used to be generate) doesn't seem
to work. Typing C-t t in an emacs does *not* transpose the
characters. I have no idea where to start looking into this problem,
but assume that it actually should work.

Second, could someone provide a pointer to the current version of
ratmenu? I found 1.0, but I saw mention of a 1.1 being available.

Third, the one thing I want from a paned manager like this that
ratpoison doesn't do native is an area for cramming things with small
windows that don't make a lot of sense in a regular pane - xcdplayer,
gkrellm, xclock, etc. VNC provides that quite nicely. Start vncserver
with an appropriate size, start a vncclient pointed at it using my old
window manager. Poof. Instant pane full of small windows.

Finally, I whipped up a small shell script "ratpoison-get-a" (see
below). It implements one of my favorite behaviors for commands: if
I've got one somewhere, just get that window. If I don't have one, run
the command. The problem is that running ratpoison twice to do this
seems a bit heavy. If I'm the only one who likes this idea, it's
probably immaterial. If others are interested, let me know and I'll
look into submitting patches to add a command.

#!/bin/sh

if (ratpoison -c windows | grep -q $1)
then
    ratpoison -c "select $1"
else
    ratpoison -c "exec $1"
fi

        Thanx,
        <mike

N.B. - I'm reading the digest; if you want to reach me quickly, you
should include me on the Cc:.
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.