[RP] The dillo browser

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: [RP] The dillo browser
Date: Thu Oct 4 14:37:03 2001

In case anyone is interested I made a simple patch to the dillo web browser.

To make it waste less screen space.

I'm quoting the mails from dillo-dev here to waste your time.

"
Since I got no feedback what so ever on my last mail I'm retrying.

Tried dillo for the first time a couple of weeks ago and totally fell in love.

It's a wonderful browser for the pages it does render. And I hope it will do

frames and cookies without getting bloated sometime in the future.

However there are a few things that irritates me in the user interface.

For example the panel at the top of the screen. I noticed that it's size could
                                                    get changed. So I wrote
these few lines to make it disappear all together.

Is there any chance that my patch could get applied in the official

distribution? Should I change it in some way? Apply through the bts?

I believe there are more people than me who finds that the bar does nothing but

wasting valuable screen space.

What do you think? Is it worthless? Am I worthless? Do you get this mail?

--

/Martin
"

"
Well, since the toolbars can be ripped off (as on all proper gtk

applications), and i can have the window manager hide them somewhere until

i need them, i would never use this feature.

Especially since i use dillo on my ipaq, where shortcut keys isn't an

option...

How about having that option control if dillo should start with toolbars

ripped off or not?

Regards,

Tor-Åke
"

"
I agree that ripping off the menubars unclutters the browsing window, but it

generates a new problem. For every menubar that gets ripped off there is a

new window created. Which of course does clutter the window list.

Clearly, making the dirt go away and sweeping it under the carpet isn't the

same thing. I want a nice and neat user interface.

The window managers job is to make it easy to switch focus between different
                                                    active applications. It's
not its job to hide things that shouldn't been

there in the first place.

I've thought about rip off items before and came to the conclusion that best

thing to do is to make it an option in gtk to hide the item instead of making

it a separate window.

Since I don't think I could implement such a change in the lib I made the

change in the application instead.

Making the change in gtk would be the correct way to solve this for all

applications. But I'm not man enough to make it. Anyone else feeling up to it?

--

/Martin
"