Re: [RP] feature request; change to defwinpos

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] feature request; change to defwinpos
Date: Sun Oct 14 16:45:01 2001

[Format recovered]

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> types:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> types:
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, what other than set the window gravity (nee
> > position) does C code with the window id need to ask ratpoison to do
> > for it?
> >
> > As a plug, I'll note that a CORBAfied rp would let you do all this
> > from C as easily as from any other language.
> Mike, how many times do we have to repeat the mantra: NO BLOAT!
> Corba is bloatbloatBLOAT.  Plus its overkill for something thats
> already done by ratpoison using X WM_PROTOCOL events and Atoms,
> at no additional code-bloat overhead.

I know, I know - but you fooled me by asking for something that looks
like BLOAT. That's why I asked you the question that you haven't
answered - what can you ask ratpoison to do for you that you can't do
with X calls and the window ID?

CORBA may be bloat - but it provides a single, regular API to all this
stuff, and it's a *LOT* easier to work with than X WM_PROTOCOL and
Atoms. I know it'll only happen in Ratpoison if I branch it, and
that's not really very likely. I've done it once, and ratpoison
already does the things I want to do that caused me to do it in the
first place.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.