Re: [RP] latest cvs now in debian

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] latest cvs now in debian
Date: Thu Jun 6 10:53:01 2002

> Thanks.  Btw, please tell me, you were just using
> "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" to build ratpoison before, right?

I did just that.

> I am determined to free myself from the tyranny of debhelper. :-)  I
> will make a makefile include file like what we use in BSD.

Euw. Please no.

> The current problem is that the programs like dpkg-buildpackage,
> dpkg --build, don't document very well EXACTLY what they do; it's
> hard to know where the debian/rules file should leave off and let
> the other tools do their work.  In other words, the interfaces
> aren't very well defined unless you were involved in writing the
> tools themselves, or have read the source code.

Policy is quite clear on this. Reading policy and the manual pages for
dpkg-buildpackage, dpkg, and some misc. stuff in dpkg-dev was enough
for me. I didn't even need to consult the source code.

(/me thinks the debian build process is properly and adequately
documented, it just happens that this documentation is a bit
scattered.)