Re: [RP] Possible bug in handling of rc files.

From: Jason Creighton
Subject: Re: [RP] Possible bug in handling of rc files.
Date: Wed Mar 12 22:15:05 2003

On 03 Mar 2003 21:10:22 -0800
Shawn Betts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> This is not a bug *exactly*. While it's not the "intended" behavior,
> it's what "should" happen. Ratpoison starts processes asynchronously
> and xterms take a couple milliseconds to start up, so by the time the
> xterm pops up, ratpoison has already changed focus and started the
> second process. The conceptual problem this person is having is that
> ratpoison will move on to the focusdown command once the 'exec xterm'
> command is "done." In this case, "done" meaning when xterm has opened
> it's window. There just isn't any easy way to coordinate that sort of
> thing, unfortunately.

ratpoison doesn't seem to start processes _at all_ when handling a rc file. My
guess is that the "process start queue" (If there is one, I would assume there
is one if processes are started asynchronously.) doesn't get called during the
parsing of an rc file. That's just my guess, I know almost nothing about C and
almost nothing about the ratpoison source code. But, if it *was* called during
parsing, we would have to wait until a window came up to make things work, and
even then we wouldn't know if that process owned that window, etc, etc, it'd
be kludge city. So I guess the answer is "Get things the way you want and
don't shut down X."

Jason Creighton