Re: [RP] Possible bug in handling of rc files.

From: Jason Creighton
Subject: Re: [RP] Possible bug in handling of rc files.
Date: Tue Mar 18 21:17:02 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:48:22 -0800
Shawn Betts <address@hidden> wrote:

> I put an exec rxvt line in my rc file and an rxvt window popped up
> when I started ratpoison. so it starts processes from the rc.
>
> Processes are started with fork() and execlp(). This means, the OS
> handles it. Ratpoison just says, "do it." There is no queue.

Okay, I see what had me thinking there was a queue. On my system, if a have a
file named "test" that looks like this:

colon split
colon exec xterm
colon focusdown
colon exec xterm

and then I do a "source test" I am prompted to add things for each command
run. And the xterms do not pop up until I'm done entering the commands. Upon
futher investigation, it appears that ratpoison does not process new windows
until it's done with an rc file, so it *appears* that the xterm doesn't start
until then, while in reality, the xterm is trying to connect to the X server.
So it seems the xterms don't get a windows until ratpoison gets around to
that.

Jason Creighton