Re: [RP] Re: History Implementation

From: Rupert Levene
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: History Implementation
Date: Tue Sep 16 01:03:06 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:14:03AM +1000, twb wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:02:08 +0200 Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> wrote:
> > * twb <address@hidden> [Sep, 15 2003 14:10]:
> > > AOL!  History doesn't work between restarts for me, because I kill RP
> > > with prejudice (it's a long story).
> > My history doesn't get saved either, guess it's a gnome-session thing.
> > btw, how do you people exit X11?
>
> I use C-M-Backspace.
>
> Long story: my xinitrc finishes with
>  exec keepalive ratpoison
> where keepalive is a script
>  #!/bin/sh
>  $@ || (sleep 1; exec $0 $@)
>
> It's a relic from the days when RP had bugs :-)
> End result is that :newwm works like :tmpwm did, and :quit becomes :restart.
> Hence C-M-Backspace to exit X.

Here's what I use in .xinitrc:

ratpoison >/tmp/ratpoison-$$ 2>&1 &
while :; do sleep 3600; done

That way if ratpoison dies you lose your window manager but not your X
session. You can start RP again from a VT by setting DISPLAY and
running it. When I remember, I use :quit and then C-M-Backspace to get
out.

Rupert