Re: [RP] patch to allow ratpoison to build on amd64 (opteron/athlon64)

From: Caleb Shay
Subject: Re: [RP] patch to allow ratpoison to build on amd64 (opteron/athlon64)
Date: Thu Oct 23 10:37:08 2003

twb wrote:

You have my humble apologies.  I guess I should learn that RP users
are of a higher calibre than redhat newbies. :-)

I can't decide if that is sarcasm or just funny. Either way, no offense taken.

I paid the extra $15 for intel over amd (32bit, mind) to avoid exactly
such problems.  If I may ask, does this sort of thing happen often?
-trent

This is the first time I've been hit with this specific problem. There are other problems with apps that aren't 64-bit clean, but that would happen regardless of which 64-bit solution I went with. As far as paying the premium, $15 is an acceptable difference to pay for convenience, but have you looked at the difference in price between the Athlon64 and the Itanium2? It's a _little_ bit more than that.

AMD Athlon64 3200+: $600 at CompUseless
Intel 1GHz Itanium 2: $7873 online !!!!!!

I'm just not willing to pay that kind of premium for a _slower_ processor. The AMD solution lets me run gcc in multilib mode too, so I can use both 64 and 32 bit apps at the same time just by having */lib32 and */lib64 (though it defaults to 64-bit unless I specify -m32 when compiling), and without the 32-bit emulation overhead that Itanic suffers from.

Cheers,

Caleb