[RP] At long last: success with ratpoison

From: Albert Meier
Subject: [RP] At long last: success with ratpoison
Date: Sat Nov 1 02:29:07 2003

Hello!

First of all: rsyeske, thanks for your help and patience. If you are still interested in the debugging output I can mail it. The debugger had an other little surprise in store for me. Here is how I got it to work: As suggested, I started up the xterm and the entered gdb ratpoison. I entered run in the gdb prompt and ratpoison started. When discussing my problem in irc and stopping ratpoison to do the backtrace I didn't notice anything, but after you went home I tried again. After ratpoison had started I just entered exit, the ratpoison screen went away, and suddenly, in the upper right corner of the screen there appeared "welcome to ratpoison. please press C-a". Followed the instruction, and hey presto the cursor converted itself to a square. So the magic combination for me is C-a and not C-t (The reason being an entry /etc/ratpoisonrc). I can only guess at why the gentoo developers put it in there: to avoid "confusion" when using C-t to create a new tab in a browser. And because a is the letter nearest to Ctrl. I'll obviously have to mail a bug report to them to take that combination out of ratpoisonrc. Still, the problem of not displaying the small welcome box when starting remains with my installation. This is probably something you'll still want to follow up a little bit. However, I have noticed that it does display the box after starting, but only for a fraction of a second (so one can not read it properly obviously). Even creating the entry "msgwait 3" in /etc/ratpoisonrc does not change that behaviour. Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention: I'm already using ratpoison as my standard Window Manager, it's really easy to use and very fast if one knows all the keystrokes ;-)

Cheers, sprif

Schützen Sie Ihren Posteingang vor unerwünschten E-Mails. http://www.msn.de/antispam/prevention/junkmailfilter Jetzt Hotmail-Junk-Filter aktivieren!