Re: [RP] New Mozilla Trouble

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] New Mozilla Trouble
Date: Sun Nov 9 02:21:01 2003

Whoops.  Forgot to send this. -twb

Quoth Shawn Betts <address@hidden> on or about Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:05:10 -0800:
> twb <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have another problem with mozilla[0] and others.
> >
> >  1. Go to mozilla address bar
> >  2. Type something so the drop-down completion/search thing pops up.
> >  3. Mozilla steals (mouse?) input.
> >
> >  Other clients don't receive proper input, e.g. C-t goes to moz, not RP.
> >
> > I think this happens with either all GTK or all gecko
> > drop-down-autocompletion-type widgets.  Anybody know how to a) stop
> > it; or b)workaround it?
>
> Yeah, I don't think there's much one can do. Here's something to try,
> though. Get Xbindkeys to grab some key and see if it handles it. If it
> does, well, ratpoison will too (as soon as I patch it) :).

It seems to happen for ALL gtk 1 and 2, with xbindkeys and any other
keygrabber.  AFAICT, it is any pop-up window, so to speak; combo boxes,
menu.  ...interestingly, it DOESN'T happen with `drawers'.

If you bind a mouse button, then clicking while in a popup will close
the popup (and ! run your binding).

If you bind a key, then pressing while in a popup will be totally
ignored, or rather, it's swallowed by the popup.  If you mapped C-Down
then I guess it would focus the next menu item.

Here's a list.  I tested them with xbindkeys, using a)C-q and b)b:3.

gtk+1,2 menu,combo box: broken
gtk+1,2 drawers:        works
ratmen(u),9menu:        works
icewm's menu:           broken
fwvm's menu:            broken
wmaker's menu:          works
bbox/waimea menu:       works
qt3 menu:               broken(?) (possibly delayed)
e16:                    works

It appears to depend whether they are `transient' or `permanent' type
windows, but I don't know enough to say more.

btw, why am I `unauthorized to run X' (via xinit) from inside screen?
How can I fix it?  (Using Debian/Sid).

--
 [1] "You're nicked, sunshine" is, of course, .uk-ian for the .us phrase
 often seen  on TV of "out of  the car motherf***er and  keep your hands