Re: User notification message handlers (was Re: [RP] ANSI escape sequenc

From: Justis Peters
Subject: Re: User notification message handlers (was Re: [RP] ANSI escape sequences)
Date: Wed Nov 26 10:55:01 2003

twb address@hidden wrote:

> Quoth Justis Peters <address@hidden>:
> >
> > Upon further research, I found "xosd".  I think this will do much
> > of what was originally requested, without requiring ratpoison to
> > become a catchall for displaying information.  Here's the link:
> >  http://www.ignavus.net/software.html
>
> I use this a fair bit.  It has two `issues'
>
>  * When used over SDL or GL apps, that window's refresh slows to ~0.7Hz
>
>  * You can only set a fill color, not a path color; White or black colors are
> unreadable when you switch background colors (e.g. switching apps)
>
> To be honest libosd seems more suitable for decorative / showy use than a
> general purpose / spartan notification.  Maybe that's just me.
>
> -trent

I agree.  Since I've started using it in more detail, I have found the same
problems you mention above.  The general interface into it, though, is exactly
what I think we need.  Again, the idea is that ratpoison could delegate to an
external utility.  By default, the external utility would be a version of the
existing notification code, factored out into a very small library.

My main motivation for this is so that I can log the events if I am away from
my system.  I currently have a keybinding in ratpoison that changes a number of
settings (including "rudeness") when I want to walk away from the system for a
few minutes.  It would be cool to have control over where those events go and
if they are displayed.

At the same time, I am just trying to address the original user's idea that he
wanted to display ANSI color in the notification bar.  Libosd seemed like a
step in this direction (with color, at least).  I agree, though, that it has
definite limitations, though, like contrast against background colors.  Perhaps
if we allow external utilties for handling of messages, he could write his own
handler, to address the issue.

My two cents...

Justis