[RP] Ratpoison and Xinerama

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: [RP] Ratpoison and Xinerama
Date: Tue Nov 25 00:18:11 2003

Hi all,

I would really like to see decent Xinerama support in ratpoison.  At the
moment I'm using an frestore command as described in the FAQ, which
works, but isn't ideal.  The 'only' command should affect only the
current monitor, and frames shouldn't be able to be removed/resized
across monitor boundaries.  It also makes my .ratpoisonrc rather
'unportable' to X sessions which aren't running at precisely the same
resolutions as I am.  I'm thinking that hacking rp_screen structures to
handle Xinerama screens would be the best way to achieve this.  This
would cause problems with 'C-t f' no longer being able to select frames
on another screen, though; likewise fdump/frestore, which is perhaps
worse. :-/  Another option would be to do everything through a bunch of
external scripts, which is IMNSHO yucky.  Any other Xinerama-using
people here got an opinion on the matter?

Also: I have a short Python script which will swap the contents of two
frames.  I've attached it because I think it's useful and haven't seen
anything similar mentioned by others :-)

BTW are there any Debian packages for ratpoison CVS?  I noticed that
there's a debian/ directory in CVS, but it's very out of date.  I'm
running my own packages based on the 1.2.1 debs.  If anyone else is
interested I could probably put a bit of effort in and maintain
unofficial packages for woody and sid.

Cameron.